Saturday, July 17, 2010

“Impromptu” is the word. It’s the catch-all adjective Roger has used to describe the discipleship camp he decided to have literally at the last minute. His desire was to spend some solid time training those who had professed Christ during camp or were interested in becoming a Christian. Last Wednesday marked the first day of what we pray will become an enduring opportunity for native youth to become ambassadors for Christ in their villages. We are unspeakably blessed to sit under the teaching of Roger and Joey. Every morning and evening we gather in a circle, 11 campers and a handful of counselors to define the role of a Christian as God does…” If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32 But this week is about application too. Modeling Jesus’ real life approach with his 12 followers, Roger has taken us berry-picking, using the parable of the seeds and the soil along the way. A few of us have gotten up at the crack of dawn to fish for King Salmon…thankfully there aren’t 5,000 mouths to feed. We have sung together, prayed together and had more fun than anyone would imagine could be had with a few boats and inner tubes, a handful of basketballs and one ping-pong table. Already God has displayed his saving power among us. Last night, two of the campers publically confessed Him as their Lord and Savior and are showing evidence of a drastic change of heart. In listening to these kids answer Roger’s question “why are you here?” we have unwittingly learned how to pray for them. So many are going home to guaranteed rejection from their friends and families, severe temptation to revert back to their old ways, an absence of accountability and any biblical teaching whatsoever. It is easy to grow discouraged for them. To walk by sight instead of faith, wondering if it’s futile to light a match in such an ominously dark room. But maybe I can refute such lies from the Deceiver with my own answer to why I am here. I am here because I was once dead in my trespasses and sins and now I am alive unto Christ. I am here because I know, firsthand, that with God all things are possible. I am here because he has commanded me to take his word to the corners of the earth (does the Bush count as a corner?) and I know he does not send me empty handed. I am here because I love these kids so much it hurts…But mostly I am here because He first loved me. Pray for the equipping of the saints. Pray for the softening of hearts yet impervious to the truth. Pray for courage. This camp may be a little last minute, but by God’s grace the things we learn here will be lasting.

No comments: